“This hearty pasta dish is made of classic panzanella ingredients such as olives, peppers and ripe tomatoes blended with hot noodles, with a special and appealing addition of crunchy croutons.”
Serving: 12 servings (1 cup each). | Prep: 20m | Ready in: 30m
• 4 oz. uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
• 2 tbsps. plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
• 6 cups cubed French bread (1-inch pieces)
• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsps. Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
• 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
• 2 medium sweet yellow or orange peppers, chopped
• 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives
• 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn
• 8 oz. feta or part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• Following the package directions to cook spaghetti. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a big skillet on moderately high heat. Put in cubes then cook and stir until toasted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Take away from heat.
• Whisk together remaining oil, pepper, salt, mustard and vinegar in a big bowl until combined. Put in basil, olives, peppers and tomatoes then lightly toss together.
• Drain spaghetti and put into the tomato mixture. Place in cheese and toasted bread cubes then toss to mix. Serve promptly.
• Calories: 297 calories
• Total Carbohydrate: 28 g
• Cholesterol: 17 mg
• Total Fat: 18 g
• Fiber: 3 g
• Protein: 7 g
• Sodium: 739 mg